Creative Doll Collector: Jhon Robert of @silkenclassiccollection

Hi dollings! How have you been?

I hope that all is well with everyone. Most of us are probably staying more at home these days. This thing that is happening to the world right now is, more than ever, an opportunity to reflect on our lives, don't you think so?

As for me, there was so much to reflect on, that it would probably be at least ten separate blog posts - pretty much at least the number that I have missed to publish for the last six months or so, right?

Well, actually, if you would allow me to make it up to you, we are presenting today a special feature with a very talented story-teller and diorama artist, Jhon Robert of @silkenclassiccollection.




I really love this creative doll collector's classic characters and the mystery in his stories keep me coming back for more. I am so excited that I was able to convince him to share his genius with us today.

Enjoy the interview, guys...

Hi Jhon! I am a fan of your IG and everything about it. The stories about these mysterious Silkstone Barbie characters, the lovely diorama, the outfits. Aaaahhhh... A diorama enthusiast's dream. Please tell us about yourself, how you got into collecting dolls, and your journey to this amazing world of @silkenclassiccollection 😊

Jhon: 

It's an honor to be featured on your blog.
I'm Jhon Robert from the biggest island in the Philippines. 
I'm a Barbie and miniature collector. 

I collect mostly vintage mold Barbie dolls like reproductions a
nd anything from the BFMC line which is popularly known as the Silkstone line.

I started collecting dolls because I love fashion and the art of doll and miniature making.
I collect vintage mold Barbies because I have a passion for vintage things.


As a fashion designer, I am firstly drawn to your dolls' fabulous costumes.
What is/are your inspirations to design and create these beautiful pieces?



Jhon: 

I believe costumes are very essential in the storytelling process which I do on Instagram.
I love fashion and miniature fashion is a whole new level.
I made a few clothes when I first started seriously entering this hobby in 2017.
Almost everything from my creation was sold on Facebook.
I actually never thought that I will be needing tons of outfits when I made my Instagram.
I never regret that since I shared my joy with other collectors. 

One of the few clothes I handmade that is left is that dress from my recent post that my character Consuelo was wearing.



Some of the costumes you see on my Instagram are thrifted in doll events like the annual Swap Meets in my country and second hand shops. 
Some were bought from other collectors.
A few were collaboration projects and some were gifted by friends who are also collectors.


Movies from the golden and disco era of Hollywood are my biggest style inspiration.
The costumes from the movies of that era are spectacular. 

I am a huge fan of William Travilla, Christian Dior and Edith Head.
These designers made a lot of the iconic movie costumes ever made 
and I know that my love for their designs are highly reflected in my work.


Your storytelling reminds me of when I was in grade school, locked up in my room on rainy days reading books and novels my mother used to collect. Please tell us more what gave you this direction?



Jhon: 

I joined Instagram on February 17, 2018 and becoming part of #dollstagram
or the doll Instagram community gave me a whole different look into this hobby. 
I was just snapping random photos before.

Each collector on Instagram is unique and they usually have their mini-me's.
Some recreate their lives in miniature.

I just thought about what can I do to be different too and make my account more fun.
I started creating my own fictional world and that is how it all started 
with the stories with the characters I made from my imagination.



And your diorama is just perfect ❤️ The streets, the interiors, so perfect for every scene. Please let us in to your process, from concept to material choices, and of course your amazing skill set.



Jhon: 

Thank you!
It's a long process and it took me a lot of time and patience to create a diorama for a scene.
But, the results are quite satisfying. 




I use mostly cardboard boxes and styrofoam boards as a base.

I chose these materials because it's easier to find and work with 
plus the cost of these materials are cheap. 



I paint the styrofoam boards with contractor grade paint 
because artist quality paints are too expensive for me.



I use old make-up or sometimes cheap eye shadows for staining and aging my work.
It helps making the diorama a bit realistic.

I try to be very resourceful as I can with every diorama because I don't want to spend a lot.

When the diorama is finished, I furnish the scene with miniatures made 
from coffee stirrers and popsicle sticks. 




Sometimes, I thrift miniatures from Japan thrift stores which are second hand shops 
with items imported from Japan.






Are you the only one doing everything to make this dream project a reality?
Please tell us more how you do it?



Jhon: 

Well, I don't want to say that I'm the sole person behind this fantasy world I created.

I won't possibly continue without the support of the people who likes my photos and my collector friends who gifted me stuff and lent me clothes and miniatures.

But, the styling and the dioramas are all mine. 
Silkonia and its capital Silken City and all its inhabitants are all products of my imagination.


What can you advise (tips, tricks) to someone who wants to start something similar (like me, because I have always wanted to make dioramas but... 😁) but cant seem to find the time..



Jhon: 

Knowing your materials is very helpful.
It took me several experiments and practice to almost perfect my craft.
I use things that are very accessible like boxes, straws and packaging.

The materials help me have the vision. 





Everything starts with a vision and that is where I started making my dioramas.

I really hate rules.  I just let my hands do the work. 

It helps me get the working vibe and I soon realize that I can't stop working. 




My advice is to start crafting if you can. 

For me, there are no rules. You own your own vision.

You create what you want. You create your own world.




Your characters are all fascinating. Tell us about your most favorite and why.



Jhon: 

It's hard to choose only one character. 
It's like I'm a parent choosing a favorite child. 

Most of these dolls are preloved and I am happy that they found a new home in my collection. 

As much as possible, I want all of my dolls to have their own storyline on my Instagram. 

I like each of them in their own way. I created each character based on the things I love.

Constanza is an orphan and I made that character because I want to dress her with country style clothes. 




I made Sister Brigitta's character because I adore old style Catholic architecture. 



My love for couture is the birth of the characters of Leonora, a showgirl, 
and Madame Narcissa du Silke, a politician. 


Bonnie is also a preloved doll that a collector offered me to buy. 

She is the doll with the teal colored hair. I bought her because I also love goth fashion and the steampunk and Gothic culture. 

And, I see the doll rocking the look and the vibe that I want.


What are your plans for the @silkenclassiccollection universe this year?



Jhon: 

Oh, I am very inspired to start working now because the quarantine period 
(because of the corona virus) is delaying my work. 

But, I'm fine with staying at home for safety and it's giving me tons of  time to think of future projects. 




Like the usual, I want to make more dioramas and recycle my old ones to create something new. 

I plan to create a diorama which is inspired by the architecture of the Upper East Side of New York and more urban set-ups.

 I can't wait for this lockdown to be lifted so I can get materials.

Wow! So looking forward to see your upcoming projects! What else can we expect from @silkenclassiccollection in the coming years?

Jhon:  

I will introduce more characters soon. 

Maybe I will create a mob lord, a witch or same-sex lovers. 




I don't know yet but that is what I am looking forward to - more characters. 

And, more dioramas - of course!



Well, all I can say is that I'll be constantly checking for updates on the girls (and soon, men) of Silken City and just fall in love with them as they each journey to find their ultimate happiness.

Thank you so much for your sharing with us your vision and creativity, Jhon! I am so thrilled to be having you over here at the blog because I am a fan of dioramas like yours - beautiful, authentic and very creative. More power to you and your silken gals and chat with you again soon!

And thanks also to everyone who gave their time to read through this blog post. I am so happy to be writing over here again after a long time. Honestly, I've been feeling down the past few days because my beloved dog Puffle passed away. I felt so sad waking up to a routine without him. He's been with us for six years now, and he's part of my work from home life since the beginning. I will miss him forever, but life must go on. As my son tells me, let's be happy knowing that we shared lives together. I agree. Thank you so much, Puffle. Love you to bits and this coming-back post is dedicated to you.

Chat with you again in the next post, guys...

xoxo,
shasha

Comments

  1. Nice interview! So sorry about your dog. I know how it feels to lose a dear pet. My cat died a couple of years ago and the hardest thing about it was realizing that she was no longer there and our usual "routine" was gone forever. It took quite a while for me to get over it, but I did eventually. Hope everything is going well with you and your family. Are you planning on adding items to your shop again. I know fabric can be as scarce as toilet paper nowadays (at least here in the States)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Champagne dear, it's been a while eh? I'm glad to see you comment here; and doing well and healthy over there ❤️
      Thank you for your kind words, dear. So true that the saddest part is missing them in our routine together. I felt so empty everytime I do the things we usually do together 😢 But I faced that sadness; really cried whenever I need to, and eventually, the pain dissolved to a pinch. I miss him dearly, but now I smile, and feel grateful everytime I remember him.
      Things are good at home, thank you 😊 I will be adding items as soon as flights are restored and that my parcels are surely delivered to the buyer 😉 Lol, don't worry, I have so many fabrics I need an entire lifetime to turn them all into doll clothes 😅

      Delete
  2. Hi Sasha!
    Found your blog via http://themonstercrafts.blogspot.com/ recent post. This was an interesting interview, and I especially enjoyed seeing Jhon's dioramas and learning about how he builds them.

    I was sorry to read you have recently lost your beloved Puffle, having lost pets in the past myself, I know how devastating this can feel. However, given time the sadness will pass and things will look much brighter in days to come.

    I shall add your blog to my reading list, so you can expect to hear from me again.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey X, thanks so much for dropping by via MC's ❤️ Thrilled that you enjoyed Jhon's process as much as I do -so inspiring, right? I love how he gets very creative with his storylines and crafting techniques 😊
      Thank you for your kind words. Puffle was very protective of me, and we have a special friendship that I will miss forever 😢❤️ I will always remember him, his eyes and the way he looks when he's being sassy 😁 Thank you for letting me remember all those beautiful moments ❤️
      Yes, I'll be heading to your blog, too and subscribe 😍 I am happy to know the community is still warm despite my long absence in the blogosphere ❤️

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I saw that you posted a few days ago, but didn't manage to find time to sit and read this post properly. I didn't know about Jhon or his Instagram, but his photos are to die for. I really enjoyed reading this interview and Jhon's advice: "start crafting if you can". I do agree, the best way to learn to do something is by giving it a try.

    I'm glad to see you're back, we've missed you. I know you were having some sight problems and had a lot on your plate last time you wrote. Plus, the lost of your baby Puffle. Hope you're feeling better both physically and mentally now.

    Take care darling.

    PS. I did wrote a post listing my favourite blogs and included yours, so that's why you might find some new readers like Xanadu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! So awesome of you to include me in your list! Thanks so mucj, dolling 😘😘😘

      Truthfully, I'm happy to be back, too. I missed blogging but you were right, I was having too many things to do, plus even before I was about to make a come back, my beloved Puffle passed away. It took me some time to go back to our usual routine. He joins me and hubby have morning coffee and when he left, I cried every morning because it's just soo sad... But now, although I miss him and evem as I write, I am teary-eyed, I don't cry like that anymore. It's still a little heavy in the heart, but I just smile and think of his sweet face ❤️

      Jhon's photos are soooo amazing, right? I am so inspired by his creativity that I am so happy he said yes to this interview. I am so glad you enjoyed the post. Are you in for some crafting soon?

      Delete
    2. Loosing someone is always hard, but I'm glad to hear you're pushing through. As soon as I finish college, I want to start crafting again. I'm planning on doing a few colorful backgrounds for doll photography, and maybe a doll room. Let's see how much time I manage to find to do that.

      Delete
    3. Well, we all know college is crazy eating up all our time so just take your time to enjoy not doing anything too serious and perhaps an enjoyable crafting time with no pressure of deadlines is perfect, right? I wish you the best this last year of your university, dear and of course to more adventures in the future, miniature or not 😉❤️😘

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let's chat!