Patternmaking Bodysuit: First Outfit

Hey, dollings ... Welcome back to my blog ;)

In the last post, I shared the latest tool I created for my pattern-making activities. Today, I'll give an update on how the first try of using that bodysuit went. So, let's go straight to the verdict: Yes, I will continue to use the pattern-making bodysuit, because yay, I was able to make an outfit out of it!
Here's The Barbie Look gal, who is relatively slimmer than most playline Barbies

I believe the patternmaking bodysuit is a very promising tool in my arsenal. I love that I don't have to tape on the dolls' bodies. This way, my dolls' bodies are safe from adhesive materials, pen marks, etc. I can pretty much keep them pristine longer.

Below are some photos of how I draped muslin on the doll wearing the bodysuit. It's basically a mix of pinning and stitching to secure the muslin. I then mark the shape I want on the secured muslin.



I cut the actual shape as I go to make sure I got the shape right.
Then, finally, I traced the draped muslin shapes on paper.




Here's for the pants.






I actually had two versions of the wide-leg pants, but I realized this doll's body isn't suited for such shape. Perhaps, it's also due to the prototype fabric I used. It's an old thing from my fabric stash, and too stiff. I thought I needed something that drapes well.

So, I tweaked the pattern to create a new waistband, this time thicker to give my slim-hipped gal some more curves. I added also more fabric around her hip, folding once for a more elegant look. I also added a dart at each of the back pants.




Hmmm, what else did I do to get to this outfit? Okay, I chose this silky, drapey fabric for her elegant wide-leg pants, and just a simple cotton blend for her top.

One note, though - I'm not saying that this patternmaking bodysuit readily becomes an easy tool to use. I am currently still in the lower levels of my learning curve with this one. While I was pinning, I've wished there were super small pins and needles that go smoothly around the curve of the doll body. But hey, I am not complaining. I love using it in general, and I know, in time, I'll be able to master it. Like most skills, you start with zero and progress as you practice regularly, right?

If you have questions about my process, please comment them down below and I sure will have some answers to them. I just couldn't quite remember everything now because I had this done more than a week ago and I only got to blog about it now.




Up next in this series is when we make an outfit for Ken, using his own patternmaking bodysuit. Hoping to catch you then, dollings! Stay safe and creative! With creativity, there is no competition, no race for deadlines, no race for titles/positions/societal hierarchies. It's only your very attuned self and your own creative world helping you experience this opportunity to live this life to the fullest. We can't control what people say and do, so let them all be. Listen to that oftentimes buried-deep, tiny but very authentic voice, and life will be so much sweeter.

Much love to you from the Philippine islands,
shasha

Comments

  1. We almost posted at the same time! I guess great minds think alike. I do think you did a great job, I always admire your craftsmanship. I really like the top, it looks versatile; and the pants look great, although I'm not the biggest fan of wide-leg pants myself.

    You made such an important point about this being a learning process and that mistakes might happen. They are part of the process, and there's nothing wrong with it. I personally like to write my posts from the perspective of someone who's learning, not someone who is an "expert". For me, it's about sharing the journey, not teaching anything, so I really do appreciate that you're willing to share your learning journey.

    Wish you a lovely rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey, MC... THanks as always for dropping by, doll... Nyahahha Passionate minds think a lot, I add :D

      Yeah, I realized this Barbie doll body type is super slim the wide-leg pants must really be designed to give her some curves, so I tweaked my original pattern design a few times to get to that final output. I myself am not a curvy gal, so wide-leg pants help add to my curves shortcomings hahaha I bet you already have the right curves so wide-leg pants will not be necessary ;)

      To be in an expert mentality is exhausting - we really don't know enough so it is best to just be authentic and honest about where you are and what you're dealing with. In my tutorial videos, I just show how I do things and even those things change from time to time because each time you do it, you sometimes iterate, change course and improve.

      I understand that big companies should have this image to know so much of what they do, because trust is important when money is involved. In my case as a small business owner, I don't feel the need to know everything to be able to blog. I just want to learn new things, and if the journey is fun enough, I'm sure a fun bunch would come along with me.

      You, too have a lovely rest of week, my friend. I still have a few on my list of to-do's this week but I already feel accomplished, having published this blogpost :D Now , I'm off to your blog to check out what you're currently up to ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let's chat!