Designer vs Artist



Hey dollings!

I finally had the courage to (re)visit my box of WIPs.
And indeed, they are as messy as I expect them to be.
Before you get carried away by my random burst of emotions,
let me share with you a story about Ms. Designer and Ms. Artist.

There are two energies roaming around the atelier every single day - Ms. Designer and Ms. Artist.
Ms. Designer wants to lead, and Ms. Artist is too busy pursuing to understand what's in front of her that she'd rather be left in a corner, alone. The designer wants to create a project worthy of her time. She always creates a system that enables her to gain from that project so that she will not only survive in the modern world, but also thrive.

Ms. Designer always thinks of the end product. She always almost sees the final result through her sketches and prototypes. She also already has set an idea on what she's getting from the project.
She also finds time to inject in the minor components of the project, and tries hard to focus on each aspect, major or minor, so that the project  finishes smoothly. 
She always has her mind set for the goal.

Now, Ms. Artist on the other hand, as she tries to answer her many, many, many questions, will probably just chuck her "answers" to Ms. Designer and then go back to her nook quickly.
Ms. Artist never thinks whether what she's doing is going to produce something valuable or not.
She just wanted to understand what is in front of her, right now.
She never ever cares about gaining anything else from it except that one answer for each question. She just wanted to go on working just because that's what she feels needs to be done. Ms. Artist just wanted to answer the question now, and move on to the next after.

Often times, Ms. Artist gets so excited with an idea she'd buy so many materials that somehow enchanted her. These materials probably showered her with so many questions that she was more than thrilled to answer. She doesn't care if the materials were expensive, or if they were even usable.
All she knew is that she wanted to experience the material. She wanted to know how she can work with the material. She just wanted that peaceful feeling with her encounter.
She isn't thinking at all.

Ms. Designer then takes all the materials that excited Ms. Artist shared with her. Since she trusts her partner, Ms. Designer then gets thrilled of the idea of making something out of those materials. She then dreams of products to create, and then sets up a system to make the project profitable. She's got it all figured out.

And so they start working together, like that, as they always do.

But there's always something amiss.

And when things get awry, the atelier becomes this literal mess.

***

Nothing dramatic, really, guys.

I'm just trying to understand why I always end up not finishing some projects.

To be fair, these are old projects. 
More recently, I had been really good at balancing the two energies.
I allow each other to communicate, really deeply, before taking on something.
I had been able to finish most of my projects lately.

My question today really is should I hold on to this chunk of past,
reminding me to own up to what I have started,
but also be playing deaf with what I am in love with as of the moment?

Ms. Designer estimates this could take me 6 months to finish.
And Ms. Artist just presented me with fun new project ideas worth 6 months of work.

What do you guys think?

Comments

  1. I think you should go through these and separate the projects that still have potential from the ones that don't, then work on the ones that still have potential when you've finished current projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I already trimmed this pile too many times 😅 And the ones left here all have potential. Maybe I just give myself one project per month. It may feel like forever but at least it's moving right? Hahaha so much drama, but really that's how confusing sometimes things are here 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let's chat!