Crafting Tip: Prototype it until all your questions are answered ❤️

Hello dollings! 
It's me again 😉

I've just paused my activity of making the tote bags as shown in the photo below as I remembered this one thing that made me learn and enjoy this craft every single time. 

Making enough for me and friends
When I bought my sewing machine in 2009, my intention was to make tropical-season clothing for humans but since I didn't even read the operating manual, I gave up so easily. I couldn't give the sewing machine its deserved justice. I returned it to its box, and I was broken-hearted. In 2010, I rediscovered my love for miniature clothing, bought new dolls and thought of making them outfits. I started with hand-sewn garments but I wasn't pleased. This pushed me pull out the machine again and really learn how it works. I then started making outfits for my Momokos, and a Fashionista owned by my friend Shayne. Since I had so little time for sewing (I still had my 9-5 work then), I only made one piece per design.

In every piece, I would struggle, and the results aren't so satisfactory. My solution to this was to make as much for each design until I thoroughly understand how to make it better. Yes, make lots, loves! As with the pieces that didn't pass my standards, I threw them away. And when I started to be able to understand my sewing machine better, and the fabrics' role in each design, I begun loving the pieces I made, and thought I'd sell some of them so I can add more dolls to my collection.

So, that is it, dollings. If you want to get better, don't stop until all your questions are answered. If you don't want to keep your initial prototypes, give them away to doll friends or your daughters and nieces or your neighbors' little girls. If you start making good prototypes, sell them to friends or to your online doll community at a fair price (your time+resources-learning you got from the activity). 

Okies, that's it for today. I'm going to get back to sewing now, ayt? Have a great day/night to you and thanks so much for dropping by ❤️

Xoxo, 
Shasha

Comments

  1. Practice makes perfect, it's an old saying, but so true :-). I too discovered that with doll clothes that this is so necessary. Recently I made a skirt and top for a 16" doll and made so many mistakes that I bought the same fabric again to make it better! With prototypes in cheap fabric this wouldn't have happened :-). I knew this already, but was too impatient, again lesson learned! So your advice is very important, thanks so much for the reminder! Big hugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have done that, too and having to just use another fabric instead.. Such a great point there on using cheaper fabrics for prototypes, dearie 😉 I also use some of my very old fabrics that have been stained from storage for this..

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let's chat!