Patternmaking Bodysuit: Articulated Ken and Hoodie Pullover Prototyping

Happy new weekend, dollings! Looking at my weekly calendar now, it feels wonderful to have ticked off my main tasks of the week. I had been at my best when it comes to willpower, focus, and other stuff that I used to cower away from. I still have a few to tackle, and that's great because I'd feel bad not doing anything on a given day anyway.

So today is finally the day when I can sit and blog about how I used the patternmaking bodysuit for the second time. And for this, we're testing it for our guy Hans. Yes, finally decided on a name for this articulated Ken doll. What do you guys think of him as Hans?

Naming this guy Hans ;)

Hans is from the Netherlands and is a digital entrepreneur. I'd love to dress him in tropical outfits, as he had been around Southeast Asia for some time now. For now, he'll be wearing a cozy hoodie pullover for those all-nighters that he had to do for his little start-up. Looking forward to seeing this guy more in my doll-wardrobe building ventures. 

Alright, since I don't have many stories about this character just yet, let's go back to the prototypes I've made the past week for him.

So I started with adding a zipper and a hook-and-eye set to close up Han's own patternmaking bodysuit. I have learned to trim off extra zipper bulk so I love how clean his bodysuit looks at the back, compared to the one I made for Chantal. I got the mini zipper here and the hook and eye is in size 0.



Now that I have the bodysuit ready, I went straight to draping my muslin on him.









As you can see, I started with pinning the muslins and then basting next just before I drape another muslin. 

For his sleeve and hood pieces, I just used my Curvy GirL Hoodie Pullover pattern as a template,  then adapted it according to his front and back panel and armscye measurements. 



After a few hours, here's what we made out of the first pattern version.





I don't mind the relaxed fit of this version on him, but as I wrote his backstory, I realized his character would tend to wear something bordering on the snug, just-slightly relaxed fit.
Perhaps, this could look great on a very muscular dude, like those sixth-scale hero action figures, which I am planning to invest in next year :D

But, wait... 
Perhaps, some of my girls might like lounging in it, too?

 



So, then we went straight to tweaking the pattern for version 2.
This time I shrunk the front and back panels, as well as the armscye.
Well, I also trimmed the bottom and the sleeve lengths.
I got a little too curious and put the front pocket a little higher than typical ;D
Indeed, you have the most fun when you follow your curiousity.







I like this pattern so much, but I'm adding thicker cuffs and bands because I want the pullover to look manly ;D Also, for my third prototype, I'm putting back to where the pocket usually sits.
But the measurement won't be changed.





So, yeah... I'm sure happy with this third prototype indeed!
I'll be trying this on the girls and the other boys and share on my IG stories how it fits them.

So the verdict for this patternmaking bodysuit: YES!
I will continue to be using this tool for my patternmaking activities.
I think it is best used for snug-fitting garments, and in the case for Chantal - tailored or form-fitting dresses. I will use the bodysuit as a starting point for my patterns, then tweak to my satisfaction.

I'll be making each of my main dolls their own patternmaking bodysuit and I'll continue to report back to guys in the future.

Thanks so much for getting through the end of my blog, you guys.

I hope you liked the photos I shared, and that my experience somehow inspired you in your next crafting project.

now ready at my Etsy shop.

Drop your comments below and let's chat, okies?

Thanks again, dollings, and see you on my next post!

hugs,
shasha

Comments

  1. Love your new blog layout! I love the new hoodie, especially the third one. I think another great look would be to have a fitted hoodie like the last one but with a zipper in the front. Years ago when I was in college, this was a style among most of the young men. Not sure if this is still a popular look now, but I still think it looks nice. Glad to hear the jumpsuit is working out so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you're loving the change, my friend! I recently tried Adsense on this blog, and I hated the way the ads were inserted into my blog post. I know I had to sit down and do my own research on this, but for now, this new layout suits me. No more annoying ad inserts. But I will still put a few on the sides and at the bottom of the post.
      Thanks so much for your lovely compliment on the hoodie evolution ;) Yes, the front-opening hoodie is still a thing, and I need an open-end zipper of sorts to use for it. Once I source one, we'll make it ;)
      Yep, the jumpsuit is like the foundation for making patterns for a doll for sure.

      Delete
  2. First, I love the new design on this blog. It looks very clean and classy.
    Now that I see all three patterns, I do prefer the front pocket to be lower, like on the last one you made. I'm glad that your pattermaking tool is working for you and you're able to create so many clothes. I've just started sewing and so far I've made.... just one doll pillow. But I'll get there eventually.
    I like the backstory you came up with for Hans. I haven't created backstories for my dolls in a while. Backstories can really help to figure out your doll's style.
    Wish you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MC... Thank you so much; glad you're enjoying the new layout. I'll probably tweak a bit more, but definitely aiming for a clean and classy look :D
      Indeed, it's working well for me! I am actually excited to design dress on these bodysuits for the girls! As for you, my dear, don't rush it. Let the need to sew call you, okay?
      Yes, backstories are essential for building a cohesive, more functional doll wardrobe and I'm so excited to start my decluttering with this in mind. Thanks so much for dropping by, and you, too, enjoy the weekend, dear.

      Delete
  3. Right? Thanks so much, Linda.. Super glad to hear from you again, dear 😊 When I finally decided on his name, I got so excited I started dreaming up his backstory 😁 Names really help anchor all the details that have been floating in my head 😅

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let's chat!