What I did in September 2021

Hey hey, dollings!

I thought I would do a monthly wrap-up blog post of sorts to please the hardworking ego in me. Let's see if we deserved some back-patting here for the month of September, shall we?

But first, a little bit more introduction for context.

My responsibilities as a small business owner can be so diverse, so I will chunk them into the types of output I make. Let's try tangible creations, digital creations, numbers/stats. For now. I may add more in the future, and regroup if necessary.

So, let's start with my tangible creations. This part of my business is kind of like the research lab part of the building. This is where I play with tangible materials like fabric, pen and paper, and dolls.

On the first week of the month, I was aiming to create new pieces for my male doll Hans, whom you have seen in my recent posts here and here. I then grabbed some fabrics to plan out an outfit. I decided on a new pair of trousers and a more casual shirt.

This photo reminds me to make Hans some underpants, too ;D


Drafting the first prototype of the "Chill Shirt"

With my cat assistant here, looking out the window, reflecting on her existence :D


Trying out my new pinking shears on the seam allowance...

My first ever welt back pocket!

And here's Hans in his new outfit ;)

I loved the color combination of the two pieces I made for Hans but the shirt fabric is just too stiff for the supposed "chill" design.

Took out another fabric and made a new version, also to correct the first pattern draft.

I liked how this one drapes on his body - the fabric is made from cotton and rayon blend

I made again a new version - something that is easier to make (sans the yoke). I also documented my process since I already am very happy with the pattern, and I'm ready to share them with you guys.


One of the step-by-step photos included in the sewing instructions of this Chill Shirt


Very happy with this third pattern!

I am so delighted to know too that I only made three prototypes haha!
Oftentimes, I'd beat myself to making as many as 10 prototypes just to arrive at the pattern version that would make me happy.
Yay!

Later in the month, after drawing out the winners for the coaching session giveaway, I already started working with the winners on the garments they want to make. This one below is a sketch of some designs that Nat of Instagram's @talary_mars had in mind.

Nat wants her Cool Kid Ayumi to wear something boho-inspired...


70s flared jeans is what's on the working table, baby ;D



I'm feeling kinda groovy, yes ;D

I also created a version for thicker denim fabrics...

And this is Nat's version ;)

Nat's loving it and I'm loving it, too!

Nat and I will be doing our second session soon to start sewing these groovy pants.

So, those were my tangible output, if you will. Next up, my digital ones.

First up, the content marketing part of my business. I've been doing it for years and years but only this September that I started using social media calendars and scheduling my posts. I gotta tell you, it is fun! 


I started with using my older photos to also reminisce those days when I was just still trying to figure out my little craft/hobby. A perfect way to reflect on my 10 years in the business.



I scheduled a whole month's social media content and it was so liberating to know that I don't need to create one new thing every day to share with the world. I know businesses had been doing this so they can focus more on creating new products, but I delayed trying it myself. I felt that the "insta" part of the platform has been violated by this system haha! But who cares, right? But let's talk about that in another post.

Up next, I started (but not yet finished) editing a video wherein I discuss how these three prototypes evolved. It's my way of sharing with you guys my thought process on these pieces. I should be able to finish editing next week so I hope you check that video out on my YouTube channel soon!

Hans' Chill Shirts - YouTube review coming soon!

I will also add in this section that I have written the most posts for a month last September. Although a lot of them are very short ones, I am glad that I was able to communicate what needs to be communicated over here. I like writing, but I get too fuzzy about my work that a lot of my drafts really never get to see the light of internet day. 

I was also able to create a marketing plan for October, although I won't be using it soon. But I was glad I went into the process and was able to reflect more on my little venture. I now have an idea on how to build a marketing plan from scratch and I will apply it in the future. It was a very rewarding and inspiring experience.

I think that is all for the intangible output part.

For Stats, I might not have much to note but I will start creating a list of things to track in the coming months.

For September, I was able to reach the 1000th 5-star review on my Etsy shop - yaaaaay!!! It was just an exhilarating experience! I know I should have included it in one of my anniversary posts but I was playing the cool kid. But to be honest, I am so warmed every time a 5-star review pops on my screen. It's reminding me that I am doing what makes ME happy. Sure, I've not achieved some things that I wanted to experience since I was young, but hey - you can't have everything, babe. So live life, one day at a time. And a day with 5 stars on my shop is just perfect!

I also found out that I had been bringing more people to my shop using this blog, than via my social media channels. This made me happy because I know people who drop here are more serious crafters than those in my social media community. That is based on my own experience, you guys. When I'm interested in a photo, I seek out the blog post or article about it to know more. I mean, aren't you like that, too?

So, yeah. I think that's about it for my September undertakings. I am super happy that you got through the bottom of this post, dolling! Thank you so much!

And oh! I think I do deserve some back-patting here, don't you think?

Thanks again, love. Chat soon!

xoxo,
shasha 






Comments

  1. Hello again! It's nice to see everything that you've been working on behind the scenes. There's a lot of work that goes into things that often don't look like it. It sometimes happens to me that I feel like I get nothing done, but at the same time I'm always working on something.

    I checked out Nat's Instagram and her photos are incredible. I feel like mine really pale out in comparison. Definitely following her. As I mentioned, I'm not in a hurry to start the workshop, but that doesn't meen I'm not looking forward to start. This week I'm planning to make a garment (basic t-shirt) from scratch for the first time. I want to practice some sewing before it's my turn, so I won't make you waste your time. But first, I need to finish a blog post I'm working on.

    I do understand what you mean by getting more customers from the blog. I feel like blogs help you build a more solid and engaged audience than social media, which ends up being about the numbers. I got there mostly to bring readers to my blog, but it doesn't really work like that.

    Wish you a lovely rest of the week . Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey MC!
      You are absolutely right about some other important things in our little ventures that are overlooked. That is one of the reasons why I now document my not-so-instagrammable parts. Only showing the final aspects of our projects will give the newbie reader an impression that things just happen like magic. This can mislead everyone and cause frustration.

      Nat's photos are absolutely stunning, you are right. And she takes them outdoors - something I depend so much back then when it was okay to go out and take photos. The natural light in her photos just brings the best in the subjects, don't you think?

      Don't worry about the coaching, my friend. It is valid until you guys are ready to embark on this little 10-hour crafting journey. Yes, that is a good idea to try to make a basic tee, too but don't ever think I am wasting my time with every session. Each hour is for me an opportunity to get to know the people who believed in me. And that in itself is already amazing.

      Blog readers, who can also be great Instagram account owners, seem to be more interested to learn to craft. I do know a lot of really successful IG accounts which are run by immensely creative people, and I know they do a lot of research to be able to get to where they are now. And where to learn and do research? Blogs and youtube videos come to my mind first. How about you? Where do you get crafting tips from?

      Thank you for always giving me a chance to expand my mind, dear! I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts over here <3

      You stay safe and healthy as well, and enjoy your week ;)

      Delete
  2. Linda, dear... I'm glad you loved the shirts and the pants! The pants by the way has its opening on the front, but I didn't get to take a picture of it, but I am so glad I did it like that! It will show in the video, though so my ego is happy haha! Yes, I am so happy with Nat's outfit idea because I also for the longest time wanted to do something like the flared pants and the boho blouse. She pushed me gently to make my dreams come true haha!

    Ahhhh the back-patting... I think it's important for everyone to have some kind of reflection on their activities. So much to be learned from looking back, I must say.

    Thanks so much for dropping by, dear! Big hug back <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let's chat!