Your First Miniature Sewing Project: Make a Cozy Doll Bed with 3 Simple Pieces
If you are an absolute beginner to miniature sewing, then you are destined to read this post. This is my letter to someone who wants to try making doll clothes but is clueless, scared, or overwhelmed - the me before Internet doll communities came to the rescue.
We all go through the same phase - getting infatuated with a doll and the outfit, eager to bring her home and provide her with a wardrobe so we can have fabulous style sessions together. That would be so much fun, right? But as we dug deeper, we realised miniature fashion sewing can be a bit overwhelming for the newbie. Those tiny sleeves, intricate collars, crazy pockets, the tiny zippers, right? Just thinking about how they’re put together can get quite daunting; I almost gave up making doll clothes entirely. When I was around 9~10 years old, all I could make were tube tops and tube skirts for my fashion dolls. Maybe a few halter maxi dresses that depended on belts to look acceptable. I remember feeling frustrated with my sewing skills, or the lack of them. But this was the late 80s, so I can’t really blame my young self then. Focus and guidance were hard to come by. I was into drawing, watching cartoons, reading, and other stuff children that age spend more time on. I didn’t intentionally search for better ways to make sophisticated and satisfying doll garments at the time. So I paused until, well, 30. Yes, the pause took more than 20 years. And it’s okay.
And then, when I eventually mustered the courage in 2010, thanks to the internet, I started with super simple doll clothing. I also practised on easy human-scale projects and clothes that helped train my hands in straight stitching and hemming.
Because really, you don’t need to start with complicated doll clothes right away. We can start with easy-to-make doll room items and, at the same time, build our sewing and garment construction skills. A lot of doll room items can be made from woven fabric, which is more forgiving than stretchy ones/knits. We can still make useful little things for our new doll instead of messing up a really nice fabric or dress pattern.
So I recently put together a beginner project that teaches you to make three super-simple pieces, complete with sewing instructions and preparation basics. This project is the first-ever part of my newbie tutorials series, where I teach the most basic projects, tips, and tricks for beginner-level doll clothing sewists.
This series is designed to guide someone who has previously done simple stitches from non-miniature sewing projects and now wants to start making tiny doll clothes. This may also help those who previously tried doll clothes making, but felt the need to step back and hone their basic sewing skills first.
If you've never touched a sewing needle before, don't fret, as this series will be just as helpful for you. I apologise, though, for not preparing a basic sewing portion on this page. That's because there are already so many wonderful videos out there that teach better. Here's one I love and recommend. Once you’ve gotten confident about the basic tools and straight stitching, please come back here, and let's learn basic doll clothes making together.
This project will help strengthen our skills in straight stitching, hemming, making sharp corners, and a little bit of measuring. Such fundamental skills will eventually get us to those fascinating doll garments that we admire today. We only need to spend some time learning with our hands and have a little more patience with ourselves.
In this first project, we will make a flat bed sheet, a blanket, and a fitted bed sheet. I chose these pieces because they require a lot of straight stitching. Whether you choose to use running stitch first, then progress to backstitching later, it’s always a win. Mastering straight stitching is fundamental to sewing. Doll clothes will never look great if the stitching is not executed neatly.
At the same time, we are learning how to hem. Doll clothing hems tell how much love was put into making the piece. The project will also teach us how to make sharp corners - another indicator of doll fashion made with love. And last but definitely not least, we will learn how to make a 3D miniature piece - just half a step away from actual doll clothing.
I am immensely confident that you can complete this project, dolling. I have this strong feeling that you have that beautiful vision and passionate dream in you, and this commitment to set aside some time to learn. That is all you need, since we don’t need too many materials to be able to complete this project. Some of these materials are even already available at home.
You can sew, I know that. Some people would tell me they can’t sew to save their lives, but I think it’s just that sewing or DIY fashion isn’t their thing. And that’s okay. We all pursue miniatures and dolls because they are lovely, and they give us a sense of calm when we hold or even just look at them.
So if you finally figured out that you enjoy the idea of putting together flat pieces of fabric and turning them into actual doll fashion, then let’s learn together. I’m sure after checking out this project, you will be excited to visit the local crafts shop. Oh, and after this project, I will be teaching how to make pillows, pillowcases, and other cushions for our doll house. Just a little sneak peek for you there 🙂
Okay, that is it for me today. I will be chatting with you again soon, but until then, stay creative!
Much love from the Philippine islands,
shasha
Comments
Post a Comment
Let's chat!