A Simple Guide to a Blissful Creative Doll Hobby

Welcome back, dollings! Today, I am again writing to an old version of myself, who, 15 years ago, was just starting out and totally clueless about a lot of things in doll clothes making. This post aims to straighten my most favorite mistake over the years, and that is buying materials, and especially dolls, without thoughtful consideration.

When we are in the middle of deciding on a doll, so many questions actually pop into our heads. Most often, at least for me, I get overwhelmed, so I ignore and dismiss them. Before I knew it, I had already arrived home with the doll, with that fleeting hope that the muse would come upon me eventually. Most often, though, muses don’t come easy.


So, if you are in this situation right now (or I am in every time I get smitten by a doll), I invite you to ask yourself these questions that I prepared, so we all avoid mistakes that often pile on top of one another. Because apparently, the dolls aren't the only ones piling up if our actions are not examined every now and then.


Question #1: What do you actually want to do with this doll? 


Do you see yourself playing dress-up every Sunday with her, styling outfits and accessories? 

Perhaps you run a small dollstagram account wherein you showcase your styling skills.

Do you imagine yourself sewing clothes for her? 

Are you into toy photography, and perhaps this doll is perfect for your next photo shoot? 

Do you dream of creating miniature scenes and post them as web stories, and this doll fits the character you are developing? Do you enjoy making content using dolls as your characters?


Do you build miniature houses and backdrops, and see this doll as the perfect “person” in it?


Or maybe you enjoy rerooting and changing faceups, and somehow this doll has the perfect mold for the new character you envisioned? 


At this stage, you will have to identify the primary creative activity. Focus on the actions that you truly enjoy doing with the doll.



As for me, here were stages in my doll collecting journey where I almost, almost wanted to do all those that I mentioned. Perhaps I did touch on most of these. But I guess I could say that, still, it is sewing that is my most enjoyable activity so far.


Up next, we uncover what we would like to see at the end of the doll project. The previous question focused on the activity; the next one nudges us to fix our minds on what the final body of work should look like.


Question #2: What do I want to create when I look at this doll?


Could it be that this doll makes you dream of a complete set of mix-and-match pieces bought from your favorite doll fashion designers, that then would make for a sophisticated travel capsule? 


Or, maybe an entire wardrobe sewn by you (that’s where I am 🙂). Most of the dolls I bought were my intended muses for the outfits I want to sew. The doll on my work table these days is Hans, who was my first articulated male doll. Years ago, I promised him his own wardrobe, so I am doing my best to fulfill this goal soon. 


Continuing with the topic before I started to digress, perhaps you really loved the entire vibe of the doll who exudes a certain character in your mind, complete with outfit and accessories, and based on a new series you post on Instagram, she’s just perfect.


Or maybe you envision a simple but beautiful little editorial shoot with this doll in it - just like they did it in Vogue!


How about that miniature apartment of your dreams, and this doll somehow naturally belongs in it!


The doll now becomes your creative tool and partner in building something beautiful, right?


Okay, so you already figured out what you will be doing and what you will accomplish with this doll. On to the next question 🙂


Question #3: But why this doll particularly? What can this doll make possible that another can't?


Do her body proportions fit into the vision you saw? 

Does she have the right articulation points perfect for the clothes you want to make?


Does her face and vibe fit the character in your editorial shoot, or miniature scenes? Could she be the perfect girlfriend character for your story's current main man?


Could she be the doll body type for the doll clothes you already own?

Could she be inspiring you to pursue an aesthetic you want to explore?  


I wanted to own a curvy, tan doll that I can give a blonde afro to, so I chose this girl, who was previously the Curvy Dancer Barbie. I gave her the ‘do, and I loved the outcome so much that she was my travel doll during our family trip in Taiwan back in 2024.



If at this point, you still can't articulate at least one solid reason why this doll goes home with you, then that's a signal to pause and think deeper.


Question #4: Now, let's look at the other side of owning the doll - the costs of the creative activity you are going to do with it. 


The costs we see right away are the doll price, shipping fees, and other fees before the doll arrives at your door. But how about storage? How do you intend to keep it and its "belongings"- in a display cabinet or a hidden box? Which part of the room is this display cabinet going to be placed in? 


Now, how about the time to spend? How much time can you realistically spend on the creative activity with this doll? Weekly, perhaps? How many hours is a well-spent time? 

How much of your attention is spent on this creative project with her? 

Do you have a deadline? I suggest you should have one - you just have to be realistic with it.


In essence, buying the doll is only an entrance fee. Consider your time, space, and energy - the other stuff you need to give for the activity.



Okay, let's dig deeper into the monetary side of things. 


Question #5: What is my "creative budget" for this doll? Can I really afford the creative life I imagine around this doll?


Let's assume you want to play stylist with an articulated playline doll. 

A sample activity cost may look something like below:

Doll: 35USD

Initial Wardrobe for mixing and matching: 100USD

Shoes / Accessories: 50USD

Total: 185USD 


What if you want to sew a wardrobe for an articulated playline doll? 

Below are the typical costs:

Doll: 35USD

Sewing materials and tools: 0~20USD

Sewing tutorials/patterns: 50USD

Total: 85~105USD


I’m still working on this part of the craft. You can easily go over budget, but I think setting a limit would be great. When I bought my doll Bloom, a Pookie Boo BonBon / Bloomin'!! fully posable 1/6 scale Pureneemo 2 Feel / Emotion S-size girl body with silky white skin, I didn’t have any budget planned out. But I will, and I will share this with you once it’s set.


So, what is our creative activity budget, Shasha?


From here on, know that these are just some of the things that you are saying yes to.


Question #6: What do I already have that can support the creative activity? 

Can I readily start creating with my current skills? 

What are the skills I have that will go hand in hand with the creative project with this doll?

Do I need additional equipment for, say, sewing or making a diorama?

Do I need additional lights for my photoshoot?

Can I fit doll travel photography into my next trip? 

Which doll pieces should I add so that I can create as many outfits as I can? 

What pieces can I readily sew with the sewing skill level I have? 

Photography skills, diorama skills, content creation skills?


When I started, I didn’t have any styling or photography skills. I had some sewing skills, a bit of portrait painting, and a promise to myself to work hard to learn them in the years to come. Check out my works back in 2010-ish :D



At this stage, we will learn if the new doll is an extension of an existing creative ecosystem, or a new shopping ecosystem. It was both for me.


Question #7: Finally, check with yourself and ask, if I don't buy her now for that creative activity I envisioned, what creative activity could I do instead? Is there an alternative to buying the doll?


In my case, I have other hobbies that I can turn to if my budget does not allow for another new doll. I draw and paint, learn a new language, and study about being healthy at my age during my free time. 

 

So you see, the dolls inspire us, make us feel alive and creative, but we have to be mindful of what we have to give for the activity to become a reality, too.


We don't want to be buying dolls and have them pile up in boxes, neglected for years. Trust me - looking at them not getting their promised playtime can be as painful as not buying the doll at all.


Alright, I guess we have reached the end of this post. I hope this somehow gave you some ideas on how to have a healthy and sustainable creative doll hobby.


Let me know in the comments what you think about this topic. I am so excited to be chatting with you all again!


hugs from the Philippine islands,

shasha


Comments